Our club pulled out all the stops on Friday February 7 and pulled off a fantastic evening of fundraising and vodka at Proof Vodka Bar in Yorkville.
This vodka tasting night was the premiere fundraising event of the club year, and what a success it was. The goal of the evening was to raise funds for this year’s international service project, English In Mind Institute (EIM): an adult English school in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti. EIM, founded shortly after the devastating earthquake, is one of the only adult English schools in Haiti and offers classes to over one hundred and ninety students biweekly. Why is knowing English so important in Haiti you ask? More than fifty percent of the population earns less than $1.50 USD a day; knowing English enables Haitians to access otherwise off limits jobs. Our club pledged $3,200 to EIM towards the purchase of laptops, projectors and text books.
The vodka started flowing as the night was officially kicked off at 8pm and the party didn’t stop until last call. Vodka wasn’t the only activity of the evening, albeit it was an important one, as this was a vodka tasting fundraiser after all. A silent auction and raffle with eleven prizes contributed well to everyone’s fun and our goal. From the beginning of the year, a dedicated team of Rotaractors began a hunt for auction and raffle items. Hundreds of calls were placed to potential sponsors, some right up to the afternoon of the event. The result was an auction packed with more items to bid on than can be listed here, the highlights of which included two private cruises around Toronto donated by the Broadreach Foundation, a Tiffany & Co bracelet, dinners at Hys Steakhouse, and La Fenice, a voucher for a made to measure men’s dress shirt from Rego Bespoke Clothiers, and my personal favourite, a ticket to Rotary’s Taste of Scotland whisky tasting at the National Club. Raffle prizes were numerous with eleven chances to win. A team of volunteers worked the room and made sure everyone was well stocked with raffle tickets.
All in all, the evening was a great success raising $4,363.95! In the coming days, we will be donating the pledged $3,200 to English in Mind Institute and the remaining funds will go to support future club projects.
At a previous meeting, our Club Service Director, Maria, shared a joke which describes the difference between being involved in an endeavour and being committed. “Think of a plate of bacon and eggs; the chicken was involved. The pig was committed”. The team of Rotaractors who organized and ran this fundraiser were all truly committed.
Rotaract Club of Toronto
Get excited! And ready to bid! See you there!
Click this link to buy your tickets for the Vodka Tasting Fundraiser: http://bit.ly/1jg97b0
1. 7″ Sterling Silver Bead Bracelet from Tiffany & Co. – Value: $220 Opening Bid: $90
2. Gift Basket from Estee Lauder including products from ES, MAC, Clinique and more! – Value: $350 Opening Bid: $140
3. 4 Hour Boat Excursion Aboard a 40ft boat for up to 8 ppl from Broadreach Foundation – Value: $1000 Opening Bid: $400
4. 4 Hour Luxury Boat Excursion for up to 8 ppl from Broadreach Foundation – Value: $1200 Opening Bid: $500
5. 1 Hand-crafted Original Necklace with Freshwater Pearls and Gemstones from Definitely Made – Value: $175 Opening Bid: $60
6. Made to Measure Men`s Shirt from Rego Bespoke Clothiers – Value: $100 Opening Bid: $40
7. Dinner Gift Certificate for Two at La Fenice Ristorante – Value: $200 Opening Bid: $80
8. Dinner Gift Certificate for Two at Hy`s Steakhouse & Cocktail Bar – Value: $150 Opening Bid: $60
9. 2 Tickets to À Night to P.L.A.Y“ Fundraiser on Feb 28, 2014 from the Rotary Club of Toronto – Value: $100 Opening Bid: $40 ($20 each)
10. Kim Kardashian Eu de Parfum Spray 1.7 oz, Shimmer Body Lotion, Body Wash Gift Set from RBC – Value: $80 Opening Bid: $35
11. Sports Bag containing golf hat, sleeve of Nike golf balls, notebook, and portable speaker from RBC – Value: $40 Opening Bid: $15
12. Sportswear Bundle (Callaway Chev Sports Hat, Ashworth Golf Shirt (Blue), Men`s Adidas Climaproof Black Wind Zip Short Sleeve, Men`s Lg) from RBC – Value: $226 Opening Bid: $75
13. Razor Scooter (girls) Ages 5+ from the Rotary Club of Toronto – Value: $50 Opening Bid: $20
14. Tonka Steel Classics Toy Truck from the Rotary Club of Toronto – Value: $75 Opening Bid: $30
15. Unique opportunity to see where the Toronto Star is printed from TorStar – Opening Bid: $150
16. 1 Camp Scugog Ticket from the Rotary Club of Toronto (For Rotaract Club of Toronto members only) – Value: $80 Opening Bid: $35
17. 1 Ticket to a Whisky Tasting at The National Club from Rtn. Bill Morari (for Rotaract Club of Toronto members only) – Value: $70 Opening Bid: $30
18. Gift Certificate for 1 Large Dufflet Cake – Opening Bid: $20
19. Gift Basket from Estee Lauder including products from Michael Kors, DKNY, MAC, Donna Karen and more! – Value: $250 Opening Bid: $100
Raffle Prizes (Tickets are 1 for $5, 2 for $10, 3 for $15 or 5 for $20)
1. Double Cross Premium Vodka (750 ml) – Sponsored by Rtn. Russ Woodman
2. Bottle of Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages – Sponsored by Neil Phillips
3. 2 Tickets to 2014 Wingfest – Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Toronto Skyline
4. $50 Dinner Gift Certificate for Two – Sponsored by Signatures Restaurant at Intercontinental Yorkville
5. $50 Dinner Gift Certificate for Two – Sponsored by Proof Vodka Bar
6. 1 Shellac Manicure – Sponsored by Natalia`s Aesthetics
7. Gift Basket of Purdy`s Chocolates – Sponsored by Purdy`s Chocolates on Bloor
8. 1 Ferrari F1 2014 Wall Calendar – Sponsored by DGN Marketing Services
The Rotaract Club of Toronto is hosting a Vodka Tasting Fundraiser at Proof Vodka Bar at the Intercontinental Hotel, in support of the English in Mind Institute, one of the only free, adult English schools in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
English in Mind Institute was started by an NGO (International Disaster Volunteers) in the aftermath of the earthquake, and they are now a Haitian led, Haitian taught, and Haitian administered operation. They offer biweekly classes to over 190 students and follow a Cambridge University English syllabus, complete with internationally recognized exams.
Rotaractors from our own Club have volunteered on the ground with EIM and we are now looking forward as a Club to continue to support their efforts with the proceeds from this fundraiser!
Date: Friday, February 7th
Location: Proof Vodka Bar – 220 Bloor St W (near St. George subway station)
Tickets are $40 for an informative and interactive vodka tasting evening, raffle prizes, a silent auction, live music and most importantly, your support towards the English in Mind Institute.
Tax receipts are issued with the purchase of your ticket.
Click this link to buy your tickets: http://bit.ly/1jg97b0
Youth in the GTA show civic leadership in many ways across all sectors of our society. We believe if we wish these young people to continue their leadership with compassion, creativity and tenacity, we must acknowledge and celebrate their many accomplishments.
Rotary would like you to join in this celebration. Are you a young person who has made a contribution to the community in which you live? Do you know of someone who deserves recognition for the leadership they show? Please help to encourage civic leadership in our city by recommending this individual for a 2014 Youth Civic Leadership Award.
Our club is proud to support these awards alongside the Rotary Club of Toronto, the Rotaract Club of the University of Toronto, and Toronto Community Housing.
Click here for the full application form, including all details.
Please submit your application to email@example.com by Friday, April 11, 2014.
Originally posted on The Rotaract Club of the university of toronto:
Peace Photo Contest:
Official Contest Rules, Terms and Conditions